This is the third post in a six part series on using the Lord’s prayer to pray for our cities.
Forgive us our debts…
Each person’s greatest need is to have a right relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Until that happens, however, people will always find a way to worship created things rather than the Creator.
By understanding both what and how the people in your city or neighborhood worship, you will be able to pray more specifically, communicate needs more clearly, and more effectively point people to Jesus.
Sample research questions:
- What are the historic religious beliefs and practices of the people in your neighborhood or city?
- What are their current beliefs and practices?
- Do these practices vary among different geographic or demographic groups?
- If so, how?
- To what degree are historic beliefs and practices part of current beliefs and practices?
- Use the results of your research to describe 3-5 false beliefs and the ways in which they are manifested.
- Suggest ways for people to pray – that is, what specific truths of God can directly combat these spiritual lies?
Feel free to leave a comment to share what you are learning.