This is the fifth post in a six part series on using the Lord’s prayer to pray for our cities.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Right relationships with God, right relationships with people and physical health and safety are all subject to threat from sin and Satan. Because of this, we are encouraged to be alert and clear-minded, to resist the devil and stand firm in the faith (1 Peter 5:8-9).
By researching the particular ways in which believers in your city or neighborhood tend to be tempted and attacked, you can support them in prayer and help them overcome sin and Satan.
Sample research questions:
- What temptations are associated with various places, neighborhoods and businesses?
- What public practices appeal to the desire for power, prestige and possessions?
- What socially accepted sins are most likely to be practiced by believers?
- What are the typical attitudes and responses of believers to private sin? to public sin?
- How does Satan tend to attack communities of faith?
- Make a map of your city or neighborhood that identifies areas that are associated with specific temptations.
- Use your map and the other results of your research to describe 3-5 common ways that Satan tries to kill, steal and destroy.
- Suggest ways for people to pray – that is, how can believers in your city or neighborhood come alongside one another in order to stand firm in their faith?
Leave a comment to share what you are learning with others.