A network I belong to recently shifted our focus from church planting movements to disciple making movements. In essence, we were saying that
church is an afterthought!
Looking at the Bible, we saw that it is our job to make disciples (Matthew 28:18-20), and Jesus’ job to build His Church (Matthew 16:18). If we do our job, Jesus will do His!
Here are some of the practical benefits of this biblical change in our thinking:
- Our co-laborers are more engaged. It is easier for them to see themselves as disciple makers than as church planters.
- Existing churches are more supportive. We are neither competing with Protestants nor offending the Orthodox.
- Those we are seeking to reach trust us more. We are clearly coming alongside them rather than recruiting them to our church.
- How do you respond to the idea of church as an afterthought?
- What are some of the ways that church as an afterthought might look?
The comment section is there for you. Use it freely!