What is it that keeps many followers of Jesus from making disciples of the lost?
Ironically, it is the command to “go” that actually stops many of us from making disciples.
This is because going is about more than geography: going is also and always about leaving our comfort zones!
Here are some awkward moments that you can expect when you leave your comfort zone:
1. Expect to find yourself in awkward social situations. This happened to the Twelve when they returned from a shopping trip in the middle of Samaria.
Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find [Jesus] talking with a woman. But no one asked, “What do you want?” or “Why are you talking with her?” ~ John 4:27
2. Expect to have public setbacks. The disciples experienced this when they tried but failed to cast out a demon while the transfigured Jesus was meeting with Moses and Elijah.
“Lord, have mercy on my son,” [the father] said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.” ~ Matthew 17:15-16
3. Expect to eat theological crow. This is what Peter had to do in order to go and help Cornelius discover and understand what God was saying to him.
“You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.” ~ Acts 10:28
- Which one of these three awkward moments can you most identify with? What did it look like for you?
- What helps you continue to leave your comfort zone despite these awkward moments?
Share your thoughts and make it a conversation!